Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Rosehip Syrup

Right, this is the recipe I use for making rosehip syrup. It's super yummy, especially on pancakes or warm waffles.....mmmmm....waffles *drools*. It is packed full of vitamin C so if you're feeling a bit under the weather it's really good and works well as a natural homemade throat syrup.

You will need:

Fresh Rosehips (as many as you can get, be sure to weigh them before you begin)
Boiling water
Sugar (1/2 the weight of the rosehips, I use a regular caster or granulated sugar)

Weigh the rosehips and put in a nonmetallic pan with some hot water. I always just bung enough water in to cover about 1/4 the depth of the hips in the pan.
Boil rapidly until soft, then begin to mush the fruit down into the water. When the water is well saturated strain (and keep) and add more boiling water to the pulp.
Strain and repeat once again.
You should only need to do this three times, but if the liquid is still coming heavily saturated then you can repeat more to make more syrup. It depends on the number of hips and amount of water you use each time.
Next discard the pulp, return the rosehip water to the clean pan and add the sugar. Boil rapidly for 5-10 minutes. The longer you boil it for the thicker the syrup will become (be warned that the first time I made this I boiled for too long for the amount of liquid I had and couldn't get the syrup out of the bottle once it had cooled, lol). Again I find it depends on how much liquid you have and how thick you like your syrup but I tend to edge closer to the 5-7 minute mark.
Pour into sterile bottles or freeze in ice cube trays.

It should keep for around a year bottled, once opened refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.

I know I'm a bit vague, but most of my cooking is 'experiment and make it up as you go along'. Hopefully you will be able to make use of the recipe. It is quite easy to make. If I make a jelly this year I'll add that recipe too. Enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. OK (putting on her garden gloves) I'm off to my friends house to strip her rose bush's!!! I can't wait to get all that good rose hip Vitamin C into me... I'm going to need it to survive the winters here at the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for the recipe! I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such an awesome recipe (haven't made it yet; but with rose hips on my bushes right now I seriously am considering making it). How much fun! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best rose hips for both flavor and Vitamin C are from wild roses. Domestic roses from a garden aren't so great.

    ReplyDelete