Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Disaster Strikes

Well, disastrous as in I have been pretty much incapacitated for the last few days. Having had my 'device' fitted and having been on a contraceptive pill for two weeks (and those things really don't agree with me in any way) I began having more funny turns last week. Not only could I not shift this migraine that had been plaguing me on and off for days but I began to recognise the signs of bouts of depression rearing their ugly head again in my life. I've only ever suffered with this when I'm under hormonal pressure, such as from the pill and post natal. Thinking to myself that I only had to stick it for a few more days I persevered but still it got worse.

I stopped taking the pill last Wednesday but it didn't help... the depression stopped but I was otherwise feeling really ill, until on the Thursday I phoned my mum at 7am in tears because I knew I wouldn't be able to look after the kids. Cursing myself, thinking that this coil was the reason for such a dramatic turn in my health I managed to stumble to the doctors and be seen.... turns out it wasn't the coil after all, but being around so many sick people in the last couple of weeks meant that I had picked up a virus that was affecting my inner ear, making me dizzy, faint, nauseous (I hadn't eaten in 3 days by this point), headache ridden and unable to do really anything other than lie down. I was told I had a type of vertigo!

Now I though, for some reason, that this was something to do with heights or something, but no... it's a condition of the inner ear where you can't balance yourself properly, pretty much rendering a person useless if they try to do anything other than lie flat on their back, and by Thursday even this was painful and horrible feeling. A course of tablets later (which I'm finishing up today) and I must say that I'm feeling nearly back to myself... as you can see I've even managed to get online for the first time in days, which feels miraculous right now when I think about how awful I felt even lifting my head off the bed a few days ago.

Needless to say I won't be taking my health for granted (like I kinda had been this last month or so) again. You only really appreciate all you can and do do when you are faced with a predicament like that when you just can't do it. My headache lifted yesterday and sitting in the bath last night listening to the deep rumbles of thunder outside helped to lift my spirits... as did my cross stitch kit, which I finally managed to work on some more after my bath. *touches wood* hopefully now I can start getting back to my normal healthy self slowly but surely and while I'm still going slowly and getting plenty of rest it feels damn good to be back on my feet and able to fend for myself.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're feeling much better. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry you werent well...my grams has this problem very often unfortunately. wish you a quicker recovery

    ReplyDelete