Thursday, 29 July 2010

Chunky Chocolate Cookies


I'm finally getting around to posting this recipe. I'll also add my oat and raisin cookie recipe some time next week when I come back form my few days of blissful peace and quiet. For now I leave you with this though:


4oz (115g) unsalted butter
4oz (115g) light muscovado sugar
1 egg
1tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
5oz (150g) self-raising flour
3oz (75g) porridge oats
8oz (200g) roughly chopped chocolate.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190C/375F)
Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth and fluffy. 
Add the egg and vanilla and mix in well.
Fold in the flour then add the oats and chocolate and stir until evenly mixed.
Spoon onto greased baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes or until beginning to turn pale golden in colour. 
Transfer to cool on a wire rack and enjoy.

Tips:

The mix makes 18 -20 cookies, I always make 18 over two baking sheet with 9 blobs of cookie mix on each as I find this works best. I also use grease proof baking paper instead of greasing the trays as it's easier all round. 

When I bake them I do one tray at a time in the top of the preheated oven as I find they cook better this way. I also recommend keeping your eye to them until you get a good idea how long they will take in your oven... they are very easy to burn if you leave them just marginally too long... burnt cookies = bad times  :-(

I have played around using salted butter and different types of brown sugar. There is really little difference in the results, the main one being that if you use light brown sugar instead of muscovado the colouring of the cookies will be lighter. 

Chocolate... the most important ingredient. The picture above is of the last batch I made, which are white chocolate as an experiment as I've never made them before. I usually make milk chocolate ones, which I do think taste a little better but only in that they're not quite as sickly as the white chocolate ones. A good medium is to mix the chocolate so you have 100g each of white and milk chocolate in there for a double chocolate cookie. As for the type of chocolate. I use the cheapest I can get hold of, it really makes no difference in the finished product and I begrudge paying a tonne of money on expensive chocolate when it's not necessary.

I hope you all enjoy the recipe  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Ooohh thanks for sharing that one you know me and my baking...variety is the spice of life and all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given you an award! http://www.thedomesticwitch.com/2010/08/paying-forward-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are in the oven as we speak, well my version of them and i'm blogging them too :)

    ReplyDelete