Friday, 2 July 2010

Lyminge Forest

Last Sunday it was boiling hot here but we decided we wanted to go and do something with the kids just to get out of the house. That's when Lyminge Forest popped into my head, though I had never been there before or heard of the place previously. A little research on the general direction to aim for, a picnic lunch made and packed and we set off in the car.








We found it relatively easily and it proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable day though a little difficult at times with the buggy but we made it eventually. We found a nice little spot to sit and have lunch in the multitude of shade and took some lovely pictures... even Beth had a go with my camera and managed to snap a nice one of me, the man and Ethan as well as some random ones. At one point, when I was seeing to Ethan they seemed to be playing a game of get as close to the camera as possible and take random crazy photos but hey, they had fun and it was a definite surprise when I got home and looked through the piccies, lol.

All in all it was a really nice day, though I'm now itching to go back to explore properly without the kids too... who knows, maybe one day I'll get the opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I must get back there too. As I'm limited to public transport to get there - I catch the bus to Rhodes Minnis and get off at the Lord Whiskey Tea Rooms (I think it's a pub tho), and then walk up the road to the entrance to the forest - that side it's called Westwood... really lovely - some friends go regularly to walk their dog, and they took us to a place they call the Catherdral because of the really tall trees and the way the canopies cross - really want to get back to see the full affect as the trees weren't in full bloom, as it were, when I went... plus there was a rather fabulous tree swing that Rye loved.

    There were some rather fab shelters built out of fallen logs too. Brilliant play and such a wonderful feel. I'd love to find where the bronze age burials are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful forest!! You're very lucky to have it so close to home :) Good luck with your future explorations of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just look at those beautiful woods you found. Such a special day. I understand what you mean about exploring on your own... sometimes we all need to do that. Hope you make it back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures- reminds me of the good times we had when we were living in the forest, protesting to stop it being built on!! Glad it's all still there - keep an eye on it, in case some developer gets ideas again....

    ReplyDelete